Bamboo is a very sustainable and ecological material that is biodegradable unlike plastic and has antifungal and antibacterial properties. It takes a great number of years for plastic to biodegrade and is the main source of pollution everywhere throughout the world.
Bamboo has turned into a very considerable source of today since it has such a significant number of positive characteristics when contrasted plastic which is injurious and detrimental to humanity. Apparently, we are not to be persuaded to choose what source we want between plastic and bamboo, it is obvious that the subsequent effect of bamboo as a major source of production is more preferable than plastic.
Lately, bamboo has been known as the “green gold” of current occasions. This super-fuelled plant grows like a weed regarding how rapidly it can develop and where it can live. There are such a significant number of motivations to move far from plastic and change altogether to bamboo. A portion of these reasons include;
- Bamboo can develop and grow to maturity and be ready to be harvested within a few years (this is usually between 4 to 5 years).
- It is biodegradable. In other words they can easily decompose as a result of biological actions especially by microorganisms.
- They are capable of growing independently without the support of fertilizers.
- Bamboo can develop in various sorts of situations and in different locations in the world (China, Africa, USA and South America,).
- Bamboos are oxygenic in nature. When compared to other plants, they are capable of producing about 35% of oxygen more than others. This makes them more helpful to the environment.
- They are also capable of rebuilding eroded soil and they really do not need to be replanted like other plants.
Amazingly, these are reasons to choose and say bamboo products should be replaced with single-use plastic products. The expenses incurred in the production of bamboo are amazingly low because of the greater level of accessibility and availability this material has.
Let us examine few single-use plastic products that could be replaced with bamboo;
Millions of plastic straws are used and thrown away daily in the world. Different producers have been able to suggest and bring an alternate reusable natural bamboo straw to light. With what I have seen, this natural bamboo straw can be used for hot or cold drinks, they are dishwasher-friendly, durable and reusable.
Toothbrushes are an essential product since
everyone has to brush their teeth daily. On average, a single person uses and
disposes about 2 to 3 toothbrush in a year. A bamboo toothbrush is
another amazing product to escape the use of plastic in production. A plastic
toothbrush also contributes greatly to environmental pollution. Most bamboo
product could be 100% biodegradable which means every part of the toothbrush
could either naturally or artificially be recycled.
Others include – Handcrafted wireless bamboo
keyboard and mouse, Bamboo eyeglasses and case, Bamboo rolling pins, Bamboo
phone case, Bamboo basket, Bamboo cotton buds,
Bamboo cleaning cloths, Bamboo cutlery and drinking straws
All of these bamboo products are a push to ensure a sustainable environment and a rescue from the harmful effects of plastic on humanity. It is therefore pertinent that we encourage the push for the change.